Field Hockey struggles on senior day, loses 3-0


Photo courtesy of Charger Bulletin/Charlotte Bassett.

Field hockey’s seniors pose for a picture, West Haven, Nov. 12, 2022.

The New Haven field hockey team took the field on Saturday afternoon against Saint Anselm for their Senior Day in the final game of the regular season before the Northeast-10 playoffs begin. Ceremonies were held before the game, honoring seniors Zharria John, Erin Corcoran, Katie Durkee and graduate students Taylor Geaglone, Sophie Schreck and Keira Integlia. After the ceremony concluded, the Chargers looked to end the regular season on a strong note before heading into conference playoffs, starting today.

New Haven was unable to get anything going on offense, finishing the game with just two shots to Saint Anselm’s 22. Saint Anselm dominated the game from the start, needing just three minutes and 45 seconds to take the lead on Maddie Davis’ goal to the bottom corner. They were able to maintain heavy pressure on New Haven due to their stout defense and covering the field with ease, not allowing the ball deep into their own territory.

The only shot that New Haven would register through the first three quarters came in the first when forward Abby Nixon tried to sneak one past the Hawks’ defense but was quickly shut down. The rest of the first quarter went by quietly with neither team registering a shot, leaving New Haven in an early hole.

Chargers goalkeeper Keira Integlia was under heavy pressure all throughout the game, as she would finish with 14 saves on 17 shots on goal. She did all she could to try to keep her team in the game, but the offense was unable to cut into the deficit and bring themselves back into it.

Saint Anselm would add to their lead in the third quarter with the first of two goals from Maggie Malloy on a scramble in front of the net. Their constant pressure got to New Haven once again, who was able to shut down many scoring chances, but it was too much for the Chargers to handle as they let another shot sneak through their defense.

New Haven’s only other registered shot came in the fourth quarter from defender Kelli Jacobson, but it was blocked before reaching the net. This capped off the Chargers’ offensive struggles as they were unable to hold on to the ball and give themselves another chance to score. Saint Anselm put the nail in the coffin with Malloy’s second goal of the game in the closing minutes to give the Hawks a 3-0 lead, which would stand until the end.

Heading into the playoffs, New Haven will have to wait and see who they match up with after a strong season in conference play with an 8-5 record in the NE-10 and going 8-10 overall. More information on the team can be found at