Lacrosse dominates in 17-7 non-conference win over Mercy

When everyone on a team contributes in all aspects of the play, finding a way to keep their opponent off the scoreboard and come away with a win becomes trivial. Being a threat to score throughout any moment of the game makes a team hard to keep up with, which could quickly change the outcome of the game.

In a game where three players recorded hat tricks, the New Haven women’s lacrosse team showed their depth and offensive firepower in their 17-7 win over Mercy College on Tuesday night. Eight players each tallied at least one goal for the Chargers as they find themselves back over .500, currently sitting at 6-5 on the season with just six games left to play.

New Haven turned in a dominant first half that provided all of the offense they needed, taking the lead with 37 seconds remaining in the first quarter and piling on as they willed their way to another win.

Mercy struck first in the contest with a goal in the opening minutes from attacker Jaclyn Grzelaczyk, but New Haven quickly responded to tie the game at one with attacker Raegan Bailey’s first of two goals on a free-position shot. The Chargers would take the lead for the first time halfway through the quarter on a goal from midfielder Gianna Caprioli.

After a goal from Mercy to tie the game at two, New Haven reclaimed the lead on a man-up, free-position goal from attacker Marielle Colalillo. The first quarter continued to be a back-and-forth affair as Mercy once again tied the game with 4:43 left to play on a goal by attacker Emma Rippon.

With just 37 seconds remaining in the quarter, New Haven took a 4-3 lead with attacker Savannah Ernst’s first goal of the game, set up by a ground ball pickup and successful clear attempt.

New Haven’s offense caught fire from the opening seconds of the second quarter as attacker Cameryn Antler capitalized on another man-up opportunity to take a two-goal lead. Less than a minute later, Colalillo added her second goal of the game, stretching the lead to three.

Mercy had no answer for New Haven in the second quarter, failing to capitalize on numerous scoring chances, getting outscored 8-0 as the Chargers opened up a huge lead. New Haven added on to make it a nine-goal lead with 20 seconds left to play in the first half as Ernst capitalized on another man-up chance. The Chargers put themselves in a great situation as their depth proved to be too much for the Mavericks.

Mercy broke their scoreless streak early in the third quarter on a goal from defender Andrea Mott to reduce it to an eight-point game. Antler responded just 39 seconds later with another goal to put the lead back at nine as New Haven continued to take the ball away from the Mavericks and continue generating pressure on offense.

Mercy once again made it an eight-point game with just under six minutes left in the quarter as Grzelaczyk scored her second goal of the game on a free-position shot for the final score of the quarter.

Caprioli finished off her hat trick early in the fourth quarter just 40 seconds after a goal from Mercy attacker Leah Hansen to keep New Haven’s comfortable lead intact. After a successful clear attempt, New Haven attacker Annie Acquavita tacked on two more goals, all but sealing the game for the Chargers. Attacker Olivia Tarricone put the finishing touch on the game with just 32 seconds remaining, taking a 17-7 lead that resulted in a crucial win for New Haven.

New Haven will remain at home for their next matchup with crosstown rival Southern Connecticut State University on Thursday, April 13 which could prove to be a largely important game for playoff seeding. The game is scheduled to start at 7 p.m. as the Chargers look to win their third consecutive contest. More information can be found at