The Official News Source of the University of New Haven

The Charger Bulletin

That’s So Raven Reboot

Khaaliq Crowder, Staff Writer

Print pagePDF pageEmail page

This past October, former child star Raven-Symoné announced she was leaving The View to allocate time to develop a spinoff to one of her most prominent shows That’s So Raven. On April 4, Variety has announced that Disney Channel ordered the spinoff titled Raven’s Home to series.

Raven-Symoné and Anneliese van der Pol will reprise their roles as Raven Baxter and Chelsea Daniels respectively. Isaac Brown and Navia Robinson  will be playing Raven’s 11-year-old twin children Booker and Nia, respectively. Jason Maybaum will play Chelsea’s nine-year-old son, Levi while Sky Katz be as playing the role of Nia’s best friend, Tess.

The website went on to report the series synopsis that revolves around best friends Raven and Chelsea being divorced, single mothers raising their separate homes. When one of Raven’s kids begins to show signs that they have inherited her trait of catching glimpses of the future, the household starts to turn upside-down.

For those unaware of the original series — That’s So Raven that aired from 2003-2007 on Disney Channel —  Raven Baxter is a teenager living in San Francisco who has psychic visions which get her into chaotic situations that she drags her friends Eddie and Chelsea into.

The show was a rating hit (breaking rating records when it first premiered), and Raven-Symone became one of the few female African American teenagers to have her own sitcom. That’s So Raven earned two Emmy Award nominations during its run for Outstanding Children’s Program while Symone took home four NAACP Image Awards and two Nickelodeon Kids Choice Awards.

It has not been announced yet whether Orlando Brown (Eddie), Kyle Massey (Corey), T’Keyah Crystal Keymáh (Tanya Baxter), Rondell Sheridan (Victor Baxter) will reprise their roles on the show through a guest appearance or a recurring character.

This reboot will be the mark the first time in five years that Raven-Symone will have a consistent acting role. In 2012, after the brief stint on Broadway’s Sister Act, Symone decided to retire from acting. She revealed to People Magazine that she started seeing a therapist and enrolled at an arts college in San Francisco. She later started making a slow return to the spotlight, guest starring on FOX’s Empire and joining the cast of The View in June 2015 where was able to work “at least five hours a day.”

Raven’s Home has a “premiere eyed for later this year.”