The Student News Source of the University of New Haven

The Charger Bulletin

Hollywood Prepares as Oscar Season Nears

celinanatola

Print pagePDF pageEmail page

December is approaching and we all know what that means: the Oscar movie season! The most buzzed-about films hold on for a late release to take advantage of the late publicity. Winning movies that followed this example were titles such as The Departed, Dreamgirls, and Atonement. Here’s a preview of the Oscar-worthy titles you can look forward to in the next month.

Starting off the season with a Nov. 28 release is the new Baz Luhrmann movie, Australia. Starring Nicole Kidman and Hugh Jackman, this love story takes place in Australia before World War II. Since Luhrmann and Kidman have already found a winning chemistry in Moulin Rouge, it is expecting that this moving tale will win over a lot of Oscar hearts.

Next in the lineup is the Sean Penn drama Milk, due for release on Dec. 5. This film tells the story of California’s first openly gay elected official, Harvey Milk. A little too late to influence California’s Proposition 8, this film is full of praise for its sensitive plot and Penn’s supposed best role ever.

Opening the same day, Dec. 12, are Doubt, which stars Meryl Streep, and The Argentine, which stars Benicio Del Toro as legendary historical figure Che Guevara. Both intense roles are sure to bring their actors recognition.

Kate Winslet is sure to rule December with roles in The Reader and Revolutionary Road. Critics claim she may be up against herself for Best Supporting Actress.
Lastly, the most talked-about film of the year is certainly The Curious Case of Benjamin Button starring Brad Pitt. The plot is so original, you’ll just have to look it up yourself.
Happy Oscar season!