The Student News Source of the University of New Haven

The Charger Bulletin

The Freshman Ate My Lettuce!

The Charger Bulletin

Print pagePDF pageEmail page

From the construction of the new dorm to the napkin dispensers on the cafeteria tables, there have been a lot of changes to UNH this year. These changes were brought on by this year’s largest enrollment in UNH history: more than 1,100 freshmen. That means enrollment jumped 60 percent for the fall 2008 semester.

Another thing that comes along with the record-breaking enrollment is overcrowding. I have never seen this campus bustling with this many students. I feel a little overwhelmed.
The place I notice the overcrowding the most is the cafeteria. It used to take me 5-10 minutes to get my meal. It now takes me almost twice as long.

I try to eat healthy, so one day for lunch I decided to go for the salad bar. I love getting salads at lunch because I enjoy having my lettuce chopped up into smaller bits for me. The pre-chopped lettuce is just too big and I end up looking like a slob trying to fit a huge hunk of lettuce into my mouth. I get in line for the salad bar. I saw my friends get their food as I waited in line for salad. I was bored so all I had to think about was each person getting their salad made. I watched the server place chicken and vegetables into the bowl. I watched him drizzle cheese all around. I watched and listened to the chopping of the lettuce. I could not wait for my turn.

I waited over 20 minutes in that line. I thought about getting something else, but I had waited this long and was determined to get my salad.

It was finally my turn to order and of course, they ran out of the lettuce.

The pre-chopped lettuce was brought out and tossed into my bowl. WHAT? I waited almost an eternity for the pre-chopped lettuce I did not want.

I came to the conclusion that if the cafeteria had less students, I would have gotten the lettuce I so desired. The freshmen ate my lettuce. They stole my spot in line and THE FRESHMEN ATE MY LETTUCE!

I chose UNH because it was a small campus. I liked the sense of community and seeing everyone I knew on my short walk to class.

Will the growing undergraduate population maintain this neighborly feeling? I am not so sure if UNH was ready for this many students.

-Chelsea Fowler